Sunday, August 26, 2012

Generating Topics: Gay Rights

I'm sure everyone's familiar with the gay rights movement that's taking place in our country.  Only seven states, and Washington D.C., officially allow gay marriage.  Those states are Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusettes, Connecticut, New York, Iowa, and Washington (according to other maps). Twelve states recognize unions, partnerships, and sometimes previous marriages.  So out of fifty states, only nineteen states either allow or recognize gay marriage.
 
Then there are the ignorant people who hate homosexuals for reasons they can't fully justify. "Because it's against God " isn't enough justification for me.  The Chick-Fil-A controversy sparked a reaction in the LGBT community and vice versa, which in turn captured everyone's attention.  It captured mine at least. 
 
 
In response to the Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day (I was watching it unfold at a food court while I ate my Subway sandwich) members of the LGBT community had kiss-ins, where they'd stand outside of Chick-Fil-As and kiss, hug, hold hands, and perform other affectionate gestures.  Personally, both parties have a point.  Just because I believe Cathy's opinion is wrong, doesn't mean he doesn't have a right to say it.  However he has the right to voice his opinions, but homosexuals get the evil eye every time they kiss in public.  That doesn't seem fair.


 
 
 
  So why is this important to me?  I'm not gay or bisexual.  I'm not being hated for something I cannot control.  Why would a heterosexual person care about gay rights?  I care for the same reasons I care about my brother.  The same reasons I care about my family.  The same reasons I care about the smiling strangers on the street.  The same reasons I care about the homeless.  Compassion and love.  I have many amazing friends and have met wonderful people who are gay, lesbian, transgender, and bisexual.  You get a lot of that in art school, because it's full of the most creative and eccentric people people in the world!  Is it too much to ask for to let gay couples get married?

 
http://www.rollbackcampaign.org/issues/item.LESBIAN_GAY_BISEXUAL_AND_TRANSGENDERED_RIGHTS
http://www.bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?id=38271
http://www.godhatesfags.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment