Sunday, August 26, 2012

Generating Topics: Reality T.V.

I'm going to start off by saying I can't stand reality T.V.  Shows like Jersey Shore, Keeping up With the Kardashians, and Toddlers and Tiaras make me cringe.  Not all reality shows are bad however.  There are shows like Face Off, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, and So You Think You Can Dance that are interesting and show people at their best.  Then there is Here Comes Honey Boo Boo.  I already know it's going to be awful and I haven't even watched it!

 
The little girl is adorable and the family is "all American," but it's a show about a spoiled pagent girl.  Just like Toddlers and Tiaras is a show about mean little girls and monster moms.  Most of the reality shows today shouldn't even be considered reality.  Audiences would be bored out of their minds if they had to sit and watch Honey's mom fold clothes.  So they have to make things up and invent drama that never existed before.  The episode of Keeping Up With the Kardashians, where they take in a homeless man, is a perfect example of staged reality.  If the cameras weren't rolling, would they really take in a random homeless man?

 
I have nothing against people who like the shows.  Hell, I watch Ghosthunters!  It's a matter of preference, and I prefer not to watch little girls dressed like teenagers, self disrespecting twenty somethings, and rich people doing rich things.  I'll just stick with Criminal Minds and Adventure Time.  



 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment