Monday, November 12, 2012

Communication Arts Competition

Okay, so I'm REALLY excited about this!  My illustration class is competing in the Communication Arts competition.  That means more competition among students and better work! 

For those who don't know what Communication Arts is, it's a magazine that showcases work by some of the best and well known illustrators and designers of that year.  The competition is pretty open and the deadline is January 4, 2013.  There's an entry fee of $35 for one piece and $70 for a series.  Here's a link for more information: http://www.commarts.com/competitions/illustration

The best part?  I can do whatever I want!  So where to begin?  With all this freedom comes great responsibility.  I started off by listing my favorite topics.  Such topics included the paranormal, memory, afterlife, basically all the things I blogged about recently.  Then I thought of what my Painting 3 teacher told me after I presented my work to the class.  I am a storyteller.  My work tells stories in the same way my dad told exaggerated stories about his childhood.  That's it.  Illustrate my dad's Big Fish stories! 

Long story short, I'm handmaking a book titled Dad's Tall Tales.  I will create three illustrations, acrylic of course since it's my strength, and they will be 9"x16".  I will then scan them and create a digital book with their corresponding short stories.  After that I will print and hand bind them using the pamphlet stitch.  Simple but effective since they will also serve as Christmas presents for some of my family. 

I started off my process by convincing my uncle to text me stories of him and my dad.  I wanted to compare the elaborate stories my dad told me with the true stories my uncle told me.  Excuse my language, but I laughed my ass off as he sent me text after text of hilarious stories of my dad.  The stories I chose to illustrate are:

-The time my dad got stuck in a tree all day
-The time my dad swung on a rope swing over a bed of spikes
-My dad's elaborate dream tree house

I'll keep you updated!

No comments:

Post a Comment