Thursday, February 21, 2013

Art Deco/Metropolis Posters



 







 

So you guessed it!  My next assignment in my Illustration 4 class is to create a travel poster for an imaginary world.  I came up with the idea of Madda last semester when I struggled to come up with ideas for my Communication Arts submission (my work wasn't accepted, but I expected that).  Madda is Addam backwards, my dad's name.  Before my dad passed away, he spent most of his time in our garage welding and building these surreal, crazy looking bikes that looked impossible to ride.  My brother and I would ride our normal bikes around the neighborhood collecting discarded bike parts and would bring them to my dad.  He'd then weld them together and spray paint them in crazy colors.  We'd then test drive them and were surprised we could actually ride them!  They were great and a way for him to feel productive and active as his condition worsened.  In my eyes, he became sort of a mad scientist.  So this world is my dad's world, in a way.  I try to incorporate some of my dad's ideas as well as my own in a lot of my work.  So as I wrote down my ideas for this travel poster, I thought of the movie Metropolis and all of the dystopian books I've been reading lately (The Handmaid's Tale, 1984, The Hunger Games, etc.) and movies I've watched (V for Vendetta, Star Wars, etc.).  Although my world is much lighter than those books and movies, I really like the style of them, especially of Metropolis and Art Deco posters.  The images posted are some of the posters that really stood out to me.


1 comment:

  1. This sounds like it could be awesome! I'm excited for it, especially since you are going onto that art deco feel. I would recommend trying out looking at Steampunk. Possibly playing BioShock or Dishonored to try and get a feel for a universe like that. Maybe even watching the Metropolis movie or anime.

    I think Steampunk in itself might lead you to a ton of resources.

    This sounds awesome! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete