Thursday, February 14, 2013

First 30 Card Sketches


So I've already posted the first ten sketches, but I want to show where I am right now.  I have the compositions for the first thirty figured out and have already started painting.


I'm not familiar with Photoshop, so don't take any advice from me.  I started with a sketch layer, then created a new layer where I painted a base color within the sketch.  I chose not to use the pen tool mostly because I didn't want to lose that hand drawn, messy look.  However if it's not working, let me know.  Then I made a paint layer and went at it.  Since I'm still at the timid stage of digital painting, I tone down the opacity and treat it as if I'm painting in washes.  The final revised sketches will have more contrast.

As for these?  Well, these are still sketches.  Some of these I drew from imagination, such as the balloon, tree, and statue.  For most of them I took specific reference photos of friends who matched the general descriptions.   

So yes, I have a whole album of embarrassing reference photos that may or may not be used as blackmail.  Especially the third card in the second batch, of Shirley.

2 comments:

  1. Something that might help a ton in your digital painting is to use the pen pressure as your opacity trigger. It gives it more of a blended paint feel rather than smaller washes. Remember to block-in your lights and darks as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yeah Lee gave a great demo/ Q and A last night which was really helpful. He showed us this amazing thing, the brush option under window! Haha, I had no idea that existed! But we talked about spacing, opacity and flow jitter, pen pressure, etc. A lot of things I was ignorant about, like how there are nibs hidden in the pen holder. Yeah I have much to learn.

    ReplyDelete